The Incinerator is a Walter Burley Griffen designed structure, opened in 1934. A lovely building in its own right, but the publics affection with the Willoughby Incinerator goes deeper than that.
The building is symbolic with life in the 1930’s, and was part of an employment creation plan during The Great Depression. The Willoughby Incinerator was one of 12 designed by Walter Burley Griffin (and partner, Eric Milton Nicholls) between 1930 and 1938.
The Incinerator ran until 1967. Earmarked for destruction, the local community rallied to have it preserved as a building of significance. In the years following it has been a restaurant, commercial office space, and more recently an art gallery.
It’s also one of Burley Griffin’s last designs, passing away in February of 1937.
The Incinerator endured years of feasibility studies, before heritage funding allowed for the restoration of the landmark, reopening in 2011 as an art space, funded and run by Willougby Council. It was only recently that the cafe was re-opened on street level.
The sensational Tim-Tam milkshakes have already been raised on this blog, but not the amazing pulled-pork roll.